Many things cause our skin to age. Some things we cannot do anything about; others we can influence. With time, we all get visible lines on our face and it is natural to lose some of its youthful fullness. We notice our skin becoming thinner and drier. We can influence another type of ageing that affects our skin. Our environment and lifestyle choices can cause our skin to age prematurely. The medical term for this type of ageing is “extrinsic ageing.” By taking some preventive actions, we can slow the effects that this type of ageing has on our skin.
These are our Tips to reduce premature skin ageing:
- Protect your skin from the sun every day. Whether spending a day at the beach or running errands, sun protection is essential. You should apply SPF30 sunscreen every day to all skin that is not covered by clothing.
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking greatly speeds up how quickly skin ages. It causes wrinkles and a dull, sallow complexion.
- Avoid repetitive facial expressions. When you make a facial expression, you contract the underlying muscles. If you repeatedly contract the same muscles for many years, these lines become permanent. Wearing sunglasses can help reduce lines caused by squinting.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. Findings from a few studies suggest that eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables may help prevent damage that leads to premature skin ageing. Research studies also suggest that a diet containing lots of sugar or other refined carbohydrates can accelerate ageing.
- Drink less alcohol. Alcohol is rough on the skin. It dehydrates the skin, and in time, damages the skin. This can make us look older.
- Exercise most days of the week. Studies suggest that moderate exercise can improve circulation and boost the immune system. This, in turn, may give the skin a more-youthful appearance.
- Cleanse your skin gently. Scrubbing your skin clean can irritate your skin. Irritating your skin accelerates skin ageing. Gentle washing helps to remove pollution, makeup, and other substances without irritating your skin.
- Wash your face twice a day and after sweating heavily. Perspiration, especially when wearing a hat or helmet, irritates the skin, so you want to wash your skin as soon as possible after sweating.
- Apply a facial moisturizer every day. Moisturizer traps water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance.
- Stop using skincare products that sting or burn. When your skin burns or stings, it means your skin is irritated. Irritating your skin can make it look older.